Tower Hamlets is a vibrant, culturally rich and diverse borough. It has a great religious heritage with many churches, temples, synagogues and mosques. Muslim history in the borough stretches back to the 19th century and the East London Mosque, the largest in Europe, is over 100 years old. Today, the borough has the largest Muslim population in the UK.
To date, there are 47 mosques* throughout the borough catering for worshippers and the community. Considering the size of Tower Hamlets this is an impressive figure. Having so many mosques within easy reach allows worshippers the opportunity, should they so wish, to pray at a different mosque for each prayer.
However, there are only a few mosques in the borough with a fully functioning website, and fewer still, with an online prayer timetable. A need arose where all the timetables for the borough’s mosques could be accessed from one central point. Thus Tower Hamlets Mosques was born.
For the moment, we have only included the prayer times as this is the main feature of the project. In the near future, we intend to add community events, announcements and record an overall picture of Muslim history in Tower Hamlets.
*Our extensive research has found 47 Mosques in the borough, if we have missed any notify us and we will include it.
FEATURES OF THE WEBSITE
We have invested much time and effort to make the website as user friendly and beneficial as possible, yet wanted to keep information to a minimum and efficient. Here are some features:
- Added only the Jama’ah times on the main prayer time pages instead of the full timetable which includes beginning times, sunrise etc.
- The borough is divided into 11 known areas in order to locate mosques more easily.
- An auto-suggest search option where one can find mosques by name, area or postcode.
- Future prayer times. To search for timings a few days ahead one can utilise the arrows besides the date on the Jama’ah Times pages. However, for timings that are weeks and months in the future, one has the option to manually select the day and month at the bottom of the page.
- Tower Hamlets Mosques is an independent organisation and are not affiliated with of the Mosques included in this directory.